Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Life Unlimited 3rd post Late Missed Debate

This post has been pushed because of several exams that had popped up and that I missed class Wednesday which was the debate about cloning and artificial organs I believe. I was supposed to be on the side against cloning and had several questions for the other side that I did not get to pose. Here are some of my thoughts on the subjects. Cloning to me is a strange idea because of how I have viewed it due to the media, film and books, so some of my opinions are based in what if scenarios as most are because a human has never been artificially cloned. A big part of how I view cloning is from the book "House of the Scorpion" by Nancy Farmer which is about a future where cloning is illegal except for made up country of Aztlan where a crime lord constantly makes clones to harvest organs from and in return he let's them have a short lived life. The book revolves around Matteo the clone of the crime lord. The book made me think about what human nature would take place in this situation were it come real minus the whole opium crime lord thing. I have a feeling that only people with power would abuse this technology by farming clones to steal their organs for later which I mentally compare to how big companies treat chickens and pigs keeping them in small spaces. I feel that if not that something worse which I think is inhumane because raising  a person that has the same mental capacity as me assuming it is my clone and cloning works that way. Another problem I see with cloning is related to Star Wars which is dumb and speculative, but I always think of order 66 which is where all the clones turn against the Jedi because it was coded in there genes. I have a feeling that other world powers like say Russia, China or even the United States. The clones arm race where we try to kill each other off by sending cloned soldiers to kill each other. For artificial organs and such I think that those are great because they are in production now and unlike the whole organ harvesting from clones no one gets hurt. The thought of me being able to go to a doctor for liver problems and him just taking my cells and throwing them in a machine that in front of me would print a fully functional liver that would replace my really bad one. In class we watched the video, which I think was a TED talk, and just seeing how they did that blew my mind. The future is now and everyday I realize that we make tremendous strides in medicine. The only problem I can think of would be over population of the earth due to no one kicking the bucket. The world is already experiencing this problem because of the advent of civilization and medicine. Other than that I can't think of a reason that organ printing could be terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment