Sunday, April 26, 2015

Life Unlimited Post 4 Group Work and The Book

In Orfeo Els has very specific views on music that have helped my group decide on what we are going to do our documentary on. Our group is doing a documentary on music composition because of how prevelent it is in the story. One of the questions we are going to pose to some of our interviewees was "Why or how do musical tastes change over time?". I wanted to pose this question because in the story during Els's youth his brother tries to show him early rock and roll that Els truly ends up not caring for which causes his brother to get a little steamed. As I read on in the story his likes and dislikes in music seem to change from the influences of people like Clara, Bonner, Maddy and all of his teachers that helped him learn how to compose and understand music. The funny thing is I was listening to some music while reading this book almost at all times and it got me thinking about how my own personal tastes in music have changed over my short 18 years on earth. I wanted to ask our interviewees like the composers we are trying to get have any insight on why our tastes change whether it be that we get bored of what we used to listen to or if our ears change to the point where we just dislike certain types of music. Another question my group had posed was "How does music give meaning to life?". Els in the book from the way I percieve the book believe that music comes from everything from his relationship with his lovers to his daugther who he had written songs with. To me he seems to believe that music is life because of how he feels deep down inside. To me personally music gives a certain aspect of drama and setting to life and some of its moment or will give me an outlet that I can connect to. When I watch a movie or play a video game one of the things I will judge is music because it will always set the tone for what is currently happening on screen. One of the biggest things I come back to is in I believe it is Star Wars the Phantom Menace during the climax of the final fight where the music picks up at a high tempo as they fight on screen. Eventually they go into a room where each combatant is separated and the music stops and when it opens the music continues until they are seperated again after the master dies. This moment signifies to me how music is so important to setting a scene and how powerful it is. Music as an outlet to me is useful when I have a feeling whether it be anger or happyness that will amplify this feeling which is what assume the character Els feels like. These are some of the questions I want to pose in our short documentary because of I view them and how I want that view to change or improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment