Sunday, May 10, 2015

Life Unlimited post 6 Theatrical Music and The Future of Science

Today which is Mother's day for those who don't remember the date so this post will be related to what I did today and the book. For mothers day my brothers and I went with our mom to see a performance by Cirque du Soleil at the Moda Center. The entire performance was accompanied by an amazing musical performance which I could only describe as a bit tribal with a bit of techno. The performance could be described in a few words the two I choose are confusing and darring. The performers were adorned in interesting costumes with some looking like animals and strange tribal people to red leotards. Each time the I suppose it could be called a scene would change so would the music and it would have seemingly random shifts in tempo and theme. For example at one moment the performers could be doing happy dancing and flips to a serious fighting scene while the music becomes more dramatic. This reminded me of the performance Maddy, Bonner and Els make the performance as Els's graduation assignment. I only make the parallel because the two seem to be similar in nature as both have left me a bit confused. I can only imagine that for the Cirque du Soleil composer he had the same idea flow as Bonner and Els which was to create a piece of music that could be accompanied by dance. Things like choreography and the music that has accompanied it have always piqued my interest because I've never known what comes first the composition or the choreograpy. I go to this because I wonder if it is a vice versa sitiuation where it can happen either way although I doubt that. I think the same for certain fight scenes in every movie like the mano a mano fighters where everything is put on the line. I feel that sometimes the composer must be asked to write the piece out first because of how epic the director and viewers are expecting this scene to be  due to the nature of the theatrical experiance. By the theatrical experiance I mean that these scenes are expected at the climax of the story and so they are expected to be amazing. Another thing I wanted to talk about was the news blast which was about the doctor who is about to take another mans head off and put it on another mans body. I recently watched a Let's Play where they had mentioned it briefly and so I wanted to say my thoughts on the whole thing as another part of my blog. To me this not only doesn't make sense to me acording to what I know about biology, but also as a person I don't know why you would want to research this subject. What I know about the human body is limited, but I took a anatomy and physiology class while I was in high school. The Spinal cord has a direct link to the brain and if it harmed in the wrong way you can lose control of your body below where it is damaged or instant death. So from what I can tell is that they are removing only the head severing the spinal cord from the skull which will then be attached to the body of the other man which to me has a few problems like how would a person attach a brain to a spinal cord. We don't fully understand the brain or nervous system because of how complex it is. The biggest problem to me is that the other body could reject the cells of the transplanted head. When this occurs the transplanted part will start to die and the project will be considered a failure. Those are at least my thoughts based on what I remember from class.

No comments:

Post a Comment